Loitering With Intent - Muriel Spark

First published in 1981

My edition - Blackstone Audio borrowed through Libby app


In an attempt to read through a wider array of the Virago Modern Classics, I checked out the audiobook of Muriel Spark's Loitering With Intent from my local library. Being my first Spark novel, I wasn't really sure what to expect and was surprised by how much I loved the book. Narrated by the wonderful Wanda McCaddon, it quickly drew me into what must be one of the craziest stories I've read in quite some time.


It's a sharp, witty look into the post-war London life of the main character, Fleur Talbot, who is a down-on-her-luck writer trying to break into the artistic but fickle literary world. She begins working as a secretary for the Autobiographical Association, an eccentric group of would-be writers working on their autobiographies under the tutelage of Sir Quentin Oliver. While working with the Association, Fleur works on finishing her own novel, Warrender Chase. There are quite a large cast of characters including the Association members, Quintin Oliver and his mother, Lady Edwina, Fleur's lover Leslie, and his wife, Dottie. There stories intertwine comically and put almost a farcical spin on the book.


While I'm not well versed in literary lingo, I would imagine this novel falls into the subgenre of metafiction. There are definitely several scenes where asides are used and there is an overall surreal feeling to the story and characters. I found it entertaining and not what I was expecting. My favorite character was the rather batty Lady Edwina who spouts obscenities and frequently pisses herself when the opportunity is needed. There were a few things I'll admit I just simply didn't "get." There were frequent mentions of works by Cardinal Newman and Benevuto Cellini. I'm sure these were important tie-ins, but I was unfamiliar with them enough to not realize the pertinent connection. Also, I found some of the portions talking about Fleur's novel, Warrender Chase, somewhat tedious and could feel myself zoning out during those sections. Despite these aspects, Loitering With Intent was a thoroughly entertaining read and I look forward to my next Muriel Spark book.

Comments